Windows and Xbox controllers go hand-in-hand in terms of compatibility and use. Both Microsoft products can easily connect to each other and scale up the experience for PC gamers.
But, have you tried using PS4 controller with PC? Many gamers out there want to know how to use PS4 controllers on Windows. With some basic hardware and a support from DS4 Windows software, you can make it happen.
Before you go forward, let’s know a thing or two about the main software – the DS4 Windows program.
What is DS4 Windows Program?
You need a portable program that connects the DualShock 4 controllers of your PlayStation to your Windows PC. The program is called DS4 Windows.
It is portable, free for download and works on all Windows operating systems. You can enjoy more accessible gaming when you connect PS4 controllers to your PC with DS4 Windows.
No matter how you connect it – USB or Bluetooth – a PS4 controller requires the DS4 setup to run efficiently on Windows.
Having said that, let’s take a look at how you plug in PS4 controllers to your Windows PC in different ways.
1. Install DS4 Windows and Connect via USB
An open source tool such as DS4 Windows is the best way to connect PS4 controller on Windows 10. The tool connects your DualShock 4 PS4 controllers to Windows 10 in a few simple steps.
First thing you do is downloading DS4 Windows software from an online source, so click on the link below.
Apart from DS4 Windows, you’ll need some more support software on your Windows PC. If you’re connecting PS4 controller to Windows 7, you should download and install the Xbox 360 controller driver.
To download Xbox 360 controller driver, click here (for Windows 7 only)
Next, you need to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. It is a compatible update from Microsoft, which allows Windows to install devices without internet connectivity.
To download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, click here
Download and install the said software and follow the steps below to connect PS4 controller to Windows PC with DS4 Windows setup.
- Get a micro-USB cable
- Connect it to the DualShock 4 controller
- Plug in the controller to one of the USB ports on your PC
- Use the USB 3.0 port for better connectivity
- Open DS4 Windows setup file
- Go to the Controllers tab
- You’ll find the PS4 DualShock 4 controller in the list
- If you don’t see it, take out and reconnect the controller to the USB port
- Now, go to the Settings tab
- Put a check for ‘Hide DS4 Controller’
That’s it. You’ve successfully connected the PS4 controller on your Windows PC using the DS4 Windows setup.
2. Pair PS4 Controller with Bluetooth
There’s another way to connect PS4 controller to Windows computer. You can use the Bluetooth setup and use PS4 controller on your PC in wireless mode.
It is the best way to use PS4 controller on Windows. If your PC has a robust Bluetooth setup, make use of it for your PlayStation gaming needs.
- Turn on the built-in Bluetooth receiver on your Windows PC
- You can also plug in a Bluetooth adapter dongle via USB
- Now, press-hold the PS button and the Share button on your DualShock 4 controller
- Hold it for 3 seconds
- You’ll see the light-bar on your controller flashing
- Now, go to taskbar on your Windows desktop
- Click on the Speech Bubble to open Action Center
- Here, go to Bluetooth and select Wireless Controller
- Type ‘0000’ (four zeros) as the pairing code to connect the controller
Your PS4 DualShock controller is now connected wirelessly to your PC. Thereafter, you can install DS4 Windows and open it. Go to the Controllers tab to the see the device connected to your PC.
3. Use PS4 Controller with Steam
To make gaming experience integral across all platforms, Steam developers have added a built-in support for DS4 Windows. Therefore, you can tweak Steam settings for using PS4 controller with PC.
You can select the DualShock 4 controller as a default controller on Steam. Here’s how you do it –
- Connect the controller via Bluetooth or USB as shown above
- Open Steam on your Windows PC
Click on Steam menu tab
- Go to Settings and click on Controller menu
- Here, go to the General Controller Settings
- Click on PS4 Configuration Support
- Select the DS4 controller as default device
- Now, go back to Steam and resume to gaming
So, in a few simple steps, you can connect and use PS4 controllers to your Windows computer. If you’re a PC gamer who loves to use DualShock 4 controllers, share your experience in the comments below.
- How to Install Skyrim Mods on your Xbox, PS4 and Windows PC?
- How do I Stream to Twitch from PS4?
- How Do I Use PS3 Controller on PC?