Windows 10 has come up with several updations in its operating system. With the higher versions of windows complex programs face run time issues. There are several programs that are unable to run in the downloaded version in the first shot. When such programs don’t initialise in the correct form, generally the error noticed is 0xc0000142.
Why does this error occur?
The occurrence of this error is mainly due to the fact that it wants to corrupt or damage the program that you are trying to install/initialise/run. Most of the times, users are unaware of such types of errors. Due to this reason, people tend to report this as a system error.
Meanwhile, this error will try to damage the computer and make it completely unreasonable to respond to any commands further. Don’t jump to such obligations without having to test the program that you are running.
Let’s first understand what is 0xc0000142?
It’s an error that resulted due to the installation of the outdated or corrupted program. There are several ways in which we can resolve this issue. Before starting the troubleshooting of error, don’t forget to check out that your security software isn’t one behind preventing any application to be downloaded on your computer.
If this is the case, just uninstall your software and restart your computer.
This will automatically resolve your problem. After doing this also if error 0xc0000142 is not solved, go through the following steps:-
Method 1: Uninstallation of recent updates
Generally, windows will not accept few updates made in the existing software. This can lead to Error code 0xc0000142. To get rid of this, all you have to do is remove recent updates and then uninstall the concerned software. After that restart your PC and again download the software you want to run. Make sure you download it without recent updates.
Method 2: The application should run in compatibility mode
It’s another approach to fix this problem. The software that is showing 0xc0000142 should be run in compatibility mode to avoid any sort of runtime disturbance. For this, the following steps should be followed:
- Right click on the application file and click on ‘Properties’
- Under the compatibility section, check on the ’run in compatibility mode’ option.
- Make sure to change the versions tab to the previous version option.
- Apply changes and problem solved.
Method 3: Check the security of your computer
Scan your computer for traces of virus and malware in the present software. This error can also be the result of such viruses. Rather than going through various troubleshooting options, get rid of such viruses first. Make your computer virus/malware free. They are more dangerous than this error. They have the capacity to corrupt the entire system.
Method 4: Reinstall the program after updating it
Code 0xc0000142 can be the result of outdated software. For this, one more thing that can be done is to download the new updates for existing software. If the code continues to occur even after running the updated version, you will have to uninstall the program and reinstall it with added updates.
Method 5: Graphics card should be updated
This is one more resort to solveApplication Error 0xc0000142. Several programs have bare minimum criteria for VGA capacity. If your graphics card is not up to date, few applications will have run time issue, they might not even load and crash down in the loading time itself. To avoid this, contact the VGA server immediately and increase its size by downloading the newest version available.
Method 6: Registry settings should be checked before installing the software
This part is generally overlooked by all the users. This is a minute procedure to be followed before starting any application. Keep tabs on the behaviour ofother software as well. They might be responsible for false registry errors. Following steps will help you resolve this issue:
- Press Windows+R to open the run command box.
- Type ‘Regedit’ command in the search box and to launch register editor you need to press the ENTER key on the keyboard.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\
- On right-hand side panel double click on loadapplnit_dlls
- Value of data should be 0. If not, change it to 0 and then click on the OK button.
The computer should be restarted afterwards. This will solve Error code 0xc0000142.
Method 7: Windows can be forced to start under the clean boot state
This option eliminates the threat of runtime crash of the entire system. This can undo all recent updates made for several programs. But will give sure-shot result in solving your problem. Go through the following steps:
- Press Windows+R to open the command box
- To configure your system with utility, write ‘msconfig’ in the search box. Click OK to launch ‘System Configuration’ section.
- Non-Microsoft office services must be prevented by starting again after windows startup is achieved. For this, go to the ‘Services’ tab and click the check box ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ and click on Disable All Button.
- To make sure all programs are disabled during windows startup, go to the ‘startup’ tab and disable all manually. Otherwise, they might crash and stop working later on.
- In higher versions on Windows (Windows 10 or 8), this option comes under ‘Task Manager’.
- Now close all tabs and Restart your computer.
Start your computer and try to run the software that was showing 0xC0000142.If the problem runs without any error, you can go to the configuration tab and enable the applications one after the other. Make sure to change the clean boot state option and make it normal startup before shutting down your system.
Method 8: Download/Update C++, Net. Framework and DirectX
Make sure your C++ version is not old and your system is using the latest one. Microsoft .NET framework can be installed to get rid of this error.
Method 9: Run the System File Checker (SFC)
This runs a scan, checks for all system files and replaces them with the corrected versions. Follow the method below.
- Go to Command prompt(Admin mode)
- Type ‘sfc/scannow’ and hit enter
Let the system scan and replace the necessary files. Restart your computer.
Hope this article covers all the steps by which you can enjoy an error-free application. There are several ways in which Code 0xc0000142 can be avoided in the first place. If it still pops up and comes in a way to ruin a smooth runtime experience of your program, you can find a way to get rid of it from the above options.
- Error Code “0x80072ee7”: How to Fix it in Windows Store
- Fixed ERROR CODE “0X8007025D”: WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION CANCELED
- Fix 0x8024a105 Windows 10 Update Error in 10 Ways