The all-new Windows 10 version has come up with a new feature of automatic updates. This feature is the least-liked among users as it automatically updates and installs each time you try to switch off your PC.
This cumulative update is mandatory in Windows 10 and has no option to disable the Windows updates in the Control Panel or Settings app.
Although, this new feature is for the convenience of the users to keep their PC updated with the latest bug fixes and security patches for better performance.
The users criticize this feature for its forceful windows 10 updates installation using up the system and network resources.
You face the following Windows 10 automatic update notification:
- Check for updates but choose whether to download and install them
- Download updates but choose when to install
- Install all the available updates automatically
If you want to turn off the Windows update, you are at the right place! Because we are here with a workaround to disable Windows 10 update
How Can I Disable Windows 10 Updates?
In this article, we have a few different methods to turn off Windows auto update. Try any of these which works the best for you:
1. Disable the Windows Update Service
This method has a few limitations as this service temporarily stops the automatic update. However, the feature resumes itself over a period. Follow the below-listed steps to turn off Windows 10 auto update temporarily:
- Press and hold the Windows + R key to open the Run Dialog box
- Type services.msc and Enter
- Scroll down and find for Windows Update option and double-click on it
- In the Startup type drop-down menu, select Disabled
- Hit on Apply and OK to save the changes
You have now temporarily disabled the Windows automatic download service on your Windows 10 PC.
2. Use the Local Group Policy to Block Automatic Updates (Not For Home Edition)
You can use the Group Policy Editor if you have Windows 10 Professional, Education or Enterprise system. According to many users, the Group Policy Editor is most likely to prevent the Windows 10 to install updates automatically.
Follow the below guide to stop the automatic updates:
- Press and hold Windows + R key to open the Run Dialog box
- Type gpedit.msc and press the Enter key
- Go to Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates>Windows Components > Windows Update
- Double-click on the Configure Automatic Updates
- Now, select Disabled option on the left
- Click on Apply and Ok
The Windows automatic update feature is now disabled. You can repeat the same method and select Enable to update your Windows version later on.
3. How To Stop Windows 10 Automatic Updates Using Registry
Before we go to the steps of this method, we would suggest you take full back up of your PC, as editing the registry is at risk and can cause dangerous damage to your installation. So to use the registry method, follow the instructions below:
- Press and hold Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box
- Type “regedit“ in the dialog bar and click on Ok to open the Registry
- Browse the following path:
- Right-click on the Windows folder icon and select New
- Click on Key
- Label the new key WindowsUpdateand press Enter
- Now, Right-click the newly created key and select New and then click on Key
- Term the new key AUOptions and press Enter
- Double-click on the new key and change its value to 2. It refers to “Notify for download and notify for install.”
- Click on Ok to make the changes
- Close the Registry to complete the process
This method prevents automatic updates on Windows 10 and also notifies you about any new update.
However, if you want to download and install any new update in the future, you can go to Settings>Update& security> Windows updates.
4. Meter Your Internet Network Connection
Although the above methods are 100% working solutions, you can also try to meter your Wi-Fi connection to stop automatic windows updates.
This method is only available for Wi-Fi connection users and won’t work for any Ethernet connection. So, here’s a small guide to meter your network connection:
- Go to the Start icon
- Click on the Settings app
- Hit on Network & Internet
- Click Wi-Fi in the left pane, and then select your Wi-Fi connection
- Click on Properties
- Search for the Metered Connection section and toggle the switch on to enable
The Built-in “Metered Connection” reduces bandwidth usage resulting in avoiding automatic updates on your Windows 10 PC.
That’s it! The above solutions are 100% useful to disable automatic windows update. We recommend you to disable the automatic windows update only if you face slow functioning of your PC because of the Download and installation process.
Let us know which of the above solution works the best for you and also drop in your doubts, reviews, and suggestions in the comments section below.
- How Do I Remove Updates From My Windows 10?
- How to Disable Windows 10 Auto Reboot after Updates Installation?
- Easier Way to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro`