Firewall, the indispensable feature of security for Windows 10/8/7, has multiple features that ensure the utmost protection of the computer.
These features and functions have the ability to adapt according to user requirements. Based on your needs you can configure Windows Firewall settings.
Blocking or opening port in Windows 10 Firewall is one of the common tasks users require in order to operate efficiently.
You may not be satisfied with default firewall settings in your Windows 10. To reconfigure the safety of your Windows, you need to change the Firewall to advanced settings.
You can manage Windows Firewall in simple ways. To change the settings into advanced adjustments, you first need to
- Open up the ‘Control Panel’ from Windows Menu
- Click on ‘System and Security’
- Select ‘Windows Firewall’ from the multiple system security features
- After clicking on it, a link for ‘Advanced Settings’ will appear on the left side.
- Click to open – ‘Windows Firewall with Advanced Security’ window
For managing the advanced settings, you may require permission of the Admin in case you are logged into Windows with your user/guest account.
How to Block Port in Windows Firewall
Now, you can manage the advanced Firewall settings for Windows 10.
In the Advanced Settings window, you will see a list of rules on the left side.
From the list, select Inbound Rules. Click on it and the inbound rules section will be displayed.
Follow these simple steps to block the port in Windows 10 Firewall.
- In the inbound rule section, an option for ‘New Rule’ will appear on the right-side pane.
- Click on it to open ‘New Inbound Rule Wizard’
- Select a new Rule Type as – ‘Port’
- Click ‘Next’ to continue
TIP: For safety purposes, you can also try blocking TCP port. You can follow the same steps and click on ‘Next’. The setup will ask you to select between TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) and UDP (User Datagram Protocol). Select ‘TCP’ and you can specify the ports you want to apply this rile for.
- Further, the Wizard window will ask you to select ‘Block the connection’
- Select it as an action and click ‘Next’ to continue
- Select profiles available for different types of connections
- These include,
- Select all three types
- Click ‘Next’ to continue
Your final step will be naming this rule.
You can name the new inbound firewall security rules as per your choice. Naming will help will shuffle between rules while adapting the security to changing user requirements.
How to Open Port in Windows Firewall
At times, your needs may also require you to open specific port(s) of Firewall.
For opening port in Windows 10 Firewall, follow the same instructions listed above.
After opening the New Inbound Rule wizard, make sure to specify the Port and select “Allow the connection”.
Thereafter, follow the instructions, select the types of connection and click Next to continue. To allow the wizard to complete the action and set this new inbound rule, click on Finish.
The wizard window closes and you have successfully learned to open and block ports of Windows 10 Firewall.