Gone are the days when MS Paint was just a regular drawing pad during the Windows XP days. The latest Microsoft Paint coming with the latest version of your Windows has some excellent tools.
You can create some fantastic graphics by merely using the MS paint. It’s no more a simple painting software, as the latest version has a lot more in the store for you.
MS Paint has introduced some unique collection of brushes and shapes in the new update. Some of the main features include the crayon tips and smooth paint brushes.
One of my favorite features in MS Paint is that it can turn the white background of photos into transparent backgrounds. Yes! You heard it right!
Why Having a Transparent background is a Great Feature?
MS Paint was overlooked for its limited features and services. However, the all-new Windows 10 introduced the Paint 3D app to add a dimensional image editor.
Making pictures transparent can become handy when you want your image to be layered over something. This way, one image can overlap another in a presentable manner.
In this post, we’ll guide you on how to get a transparent background in MS Paint and Paint 3D.
How to Get Transparent Background in MS Paint and Paint 3D?
Now that you know the benefits of turning your image background transparent, you’ll surely want to use this feature. However, turning your image transparent doesn’t wholly make your image invisible.
It can make the image opaque allowing the background showing through your image.
Now let’s learn to make your image transparent on MS Paint.
1. Method 1
In this method, you’ll have to enable “Transparent Selection” to turn your drawing system fully opaque. Here’s how-
- Launch Microsoft Paint
- Go to the File menu
- Hit the Open button
Search for the picture you want to make transparent and double-click on it, so it opens in your Paint workspace.
Tip- Use the Magnifying tool (to the left side on your toolbar) and select the area you want to make transparent.
- Once it’s done, drop down the Image option (to the top of your screen) and choose “Transparent Selection.”
- It will now notify you by showing you a check mark on the menu. Your drawing system now becomes fully opaque, and your drawing becomes a see-through.
- Now, select the “Free-Form Select” tool (dotted star shape icon on the toolbar to the top of your screen)
- Outline the part of the picture you want to remove from your photo making it transparent
- You can see a dotted rectangle/square revolving around the selected area. Click on the left mouse button and choose Cut
- You’ll now see white space in the area you selected
Note- The area you’ve selected will not appear transparent on the screen as Paint is not updated enough. However, the results will undoubtedly appear once you print the image out.
- You can use the same “Free- Form Select” with a select and cut method to make other areas of your image transparent
- Once it’s done, save your file by selecting the File option and select Save as
- Rename the image according to your choice and select the file type from its drop-down menu and select GIF
This format allows your image to be transparent.
2. Method 2
Add transparent backgrounds to your saved images with Paint 3D. Cutting the area in Paint leaves a blank patch in the original pictures. However, it doesn’t become transparent in the original picture as you save it.
However, Paint 3D saves transparent areas in images. The app doesn’t include a full layers tool, but you can insert one picture on top of another, so it overlaps. Let’s do it
1) Hit the Windows key and type Paint3D
2) Select the Paint 3D option and open it
3) Now, Click on the Menu icon and select Open and choose Browse files. Now, select an image to open it in Paint 3D
4) Hit the Canvas button to open the sidebar
5) After that, tap on the Transparent canvas (on the sidebar)
6) Hit the Select button and drag the selection rectangle over all the areas of your image you wish to delete
7) Now, press and hold Ctrl + X keys to cut out the area from your picture
It will now leave the picture with a blank transparent area which any background layer can fill.
8) Click on the Menu option and select Save as and then select the 2D PNG menu
9) Give a title to your file in the text box and hit the Save button
10) Now tap on Menu and New to open a black canvas
11) Once again, click on Menu and select Open and choose Browse files. Now select to open a background layer picture for the transparent image you’ve saved
12) After that, go to Menu and select Insert and select to open the transparent picture you just saved
The transparent image will now open on the top of your background layer.
13) Now you can see that the background image layer now fills the transparent section in the overlapping image
You can also resize and edit the overlapping picture by moving the cursor to one of the selection’s border corners and holding the left mouse button and dragging the cursor.
That’s it! This is how you can add transparent background images with other images, and you can even combine the transparent images with other pictures by pasting the selected foreground or by overlapping them with layers.
Have any issues while performing any of the above methods? Drop down your suggestions or queries in the comments section below.
- Easy Ways to Retrieve Lost/Unsaved Document in MS Word
- How to Set/Change Autosave Time in MS Word?
- How To Setup MS Office Via Office.Com/Setup?