For those who don’t know, Google Docs is a very popular online word processing application. However, it is not as simple and effective as MS Word but has excellent online sharing services and features.
You can create spreadsheets, slide presentations and documents. One of the best features of Google Docs is that multiple users can access and edit a document at the same time online.
It is compatible with most of the word processor applications.
What is a Margin in Google Docs?
A Margin is the space between a text and other components from the edge of the paper. Generally, the margin standard sets are 1” Bottom and Top and 1.25’’ to the Right and Left.
You can usually adjust these margins through page setup which includes Top, Bottom, Left, and Right margins.
In this article, we have a few simple and easy methods to set/adjust margins in Google Docs.
In Google Docs, you’ll notice that there are some default margins already set to your existing document as these margins place a distance between the edge of your paper and your content or text.
You might want to change or adjust these margins by increasing or decreasing the margin size preferably.
How to Set Document Margins in Google Docs?
Setting Document Margins in Google Docs is quite easy as there are two methods to do so:
1. To Set Left and right Margins in Google Docs
This method works quickly but with the left and right margins only. To do so, Let us go through the following steps:
- Open Google Docs
- Create a new file or Open the existing document you wish to edit
- Place the ruler on the top of your document
- Find for a rectangular bar with a triangle (down-facing) below it
- Click and navigate the down-facing triangle along with the ruler
- Now, to change the right margin, search for a down-facing triangle on the side of the ruler
- Click on it and drag the triangle along by the ruler
Done! You can now set your left and right margins with these simple and easy steps. Do not click on the rectangle in the place of the triangle as you might change the print of paragraphs instead of the left and right margins.
This method is a little complicated compared to the above method but sets up the complete set of Margins of your document on Google Docs.
- Open the existing document you want to edit
- Now go to File and select Page setup
- Search for the Margins option
- A text box appears. In this text box, click in the text box(to the right) of the margin you wish to change
- Now click on Ok to replace as many margins you want. You can also select the Set as default to always have the set margins whenever you make a new document
- Hit on Ok, to save the changes
- Ensure that the margins have been set correctly according to your preference
That’s it! You have now successfully set up your preferred document margins in Google Docs.
How to Adjust (Change) Margins in Google Docs?
Google Docs enables you to change the width or length of margins to suit your choices. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to Adjust or change margins in Google Docs.
- Click on File
- Choose the Page setup option
- Change or adjust the Margins in the separate fields for top, bottom, left and right margins respectively.
- Enter your preferred size number in each of the margin number fields you want to change
- You can also click on Set as Default option to set these setting for your further documents
- Now, click on OK, to make and save the changes
You have changed the margins in Google docs successfully
How to Change Paragraph Margins in Google Docs
This method allows you to precisely set the left and right margins for a particular paragraph. Let’s see how:
- To change the left margin for the specific paragraph, click and navigate the left downward pointing triangle in the ruler
- Similarly, to change the right margin of the paragraph, click and place the right downward pointing triangle in the ruler
These easy steps preferably change your specific paragraph margins in Google Docs.
How to change margins of a locked Google doc?
You can change margins of a locked Google doc by making a copy of the document you wish to edit and follow the process below:
- Open the document you want to edit, but you are unable to
- Select all the content of the document
- Press and hold CTRL+C to copy all of the selected text
- Go to File>New>Document
- Press and hold CTRL+V to paste the text you have copied
- You can now change and adjust your margin level as usual
This method only works if the document owner has not selected the Disable option to print, download or copy for viewers and commenters’ option.
Great! You can now set, adjust, change or even edit the locked Google Docs margins to meet your preference with these easy steps. Feel free to drop-down your suggestions and doubts in the comments section below.