The Avast antivirus software on your PC may often show you a warning message when you try to install any third-party security software or wish to access your favorite website or application.
Seeing this warning message may eventually become annoying, and you may need to disable your Avast antivirus temporarily.
In this article, we mainly focus on how to turn off Avast temporarily on windows 10/8/7.
Below is a quick, systematic guide on how you can disable Avast temporarily or entirely. The steps highlighted are applicable for all Avast antivirus products.
How to Turn off Avast Temporarily or Completely?
Disabling Avast shields means completely disabling the entire Avast antivirus active protection. This will make your PC unprotected.
To do so, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the Windows taskbar and then click on the triangle like a symbol to open the notification area
- Select the orange Avast icon and right-click on it
- Click on Avast Shield control and then select the duration to disable it. Generally, you will have the following periods listed
- Disable for 10 minutes, for 1 hour, Disable permanently or disable until the computer is restarted
- After selecting an option, Avast will ask you for a confirmation
Note: The following warning will show up:
“An attempt has been made to turn off a key antivirus module (all shield). This may be a legitimate action, but could also be as a result of malware attack.
Do you want to continue?”
- Click Yes to confirm
Now, Avast antivirus shields are disabled. If you wish to re-enable it, click on RESOLVE button and it will turn green with the message “You are protected.”
How to Disable Individual Avast Antivirus Shield?
Avast also provides you with an opportunity to turn off the protection temporarily.
- Locate your Windows taskbar and then right click on the Avast icon
- Select Open Avast user interface
- Then go to Settings
- Select All components.
All the shields that are currently active on your PC will be listed. In particular, Avast shield has three levels of protection.
- Web Shield: Monitors the websites you visit and protects you from spam and suspicious behaviors.
- Mail Shield: Protects your PC from incoming emails that may contain malicious content.
- File system: Protects the files present in the computer.
Next, to the shield, you want to turn off, select ON. It will indicate different time durations, which you can select.
- Select the duration then click OK.
Note: The shield chosen will be disabled for the particular duration you have selected.
Antiviruses are essential for our PCs. Thus, once done with what the antivirus was blocking, we recommend you turn your protection back to On.