Avast CPU Usage High is caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in Windows registry.
Some processes in Windows 10 are responsible for slowing down the OS by consuming a huge amount of RAM and CPU power.
The main process that gives this trouble is ntoskrnl.exe. This process consumes a huge amount of RAM after PC is switched on.
Avast CPU Usage High: What Does it Mean?
Avast CPU Usage High is an error name. This contains the details of error such as –
- Why has the error occurred?
- Which application or system component malfunctioned to cause this error.
The numerical code in the error contains data that can be deciphered (converted into normal form) by the manufacturer of the component or by the application that malfunctioned.
Although this error contains the details in its name, it is difficult to interpret the by the user and fix it without the good technical knowledge or appropriate software.
What Causes Avast CPU Usage High?
If there is some malfunction in your system component then you may receive the error of Avast CPU Usage High.
Common reasons for this error are:
- Incorrect or failed installations or uninstallations of software: This may leave invalid entries in Windows Registry
- Consequences of a virus or malware attack
- Improper shutdown of the system due to power failure or any other factor
- Deletion of the system file or registry entry
How to fix high CPU Usage?
Below are the steps that will solve the high CPU and RAM usage in Windows 10.
- Hit Win key + R
- Type ‘ Regedit’ and hit Enter
- Go to the path,
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management’
- Find ‘ClearPageFileAtShutDown’ change its value to 1.
Restart your PC.
Fix the Driver issue
Open ‘Device Manager’ and ‘Scan for Hardware Changes’.
Adjust Windows 10 for best performance
- Right click on ‘My Computer’
- Select ‘Properties’ > ‘Advanced System Settings’
- Go to ‘System Properties’
- Select ‘Settings’
- Choose ‘Adjust for best performance’ and click ‘Apply’ > ‘OK’
- Restart your PC.
Disable startup programs.
- Hit Win + R key
- Type ‘dfrgui’ and press Enter
- In the new window click on hard drives you want to defragment (Prefer hard drive in which Windows is installed)
- Click ‘Optimize’ and follow the steps mentioned on the screen, to complete the defragment process.
- Restart your PC.
How To Fix System ntoskrnl.exe Process High CPU/RAM uses in Windows 10?
- If there is a memory leak problem and there is high CPU/RAM usage then following steps should be followed:
- Clean PC with a trusted anti-virus.
- Updation of faulty and outdated drivers should be performed.
- Disable Runtime Broker to fix high CPU and memory usage.
- Go to start menu > Settings app.
- Navigate to Settings > System > Notification & Actions
- Disable, ‘Show me tips about Windows’
- Reboot your PC.
- Avast’s Latest Upgrade Interferes with Malwarebytes, Impedes Internet Connectivity
- How To Stop Avast From Blocking The Website And Internet Access?
- How to Turn Off Avast Temporarily in Windows 10/8/7?