Having issues while watching your favorite video on YouTube? It’s annoying when YouTube audio suddenly stops working when you’re watching an interesting video.
If you’re wondering why there’s no sound on YouTube or why YouTube sound stopped working all of a sudden, you’re not alone. Many users have reported this common issue where suddenly there is no sound on YouTube.
There are many reasons why you’re experiencing the sound issues on YouTube. It can be due to issues with your browser or software or hardware. In this guide, we’ll explore the possible reasons for YouTube sound problem and ways to fix it.
Reasons Why YouTube is Not Playing Sound
As discussed above, there are many reasons why there is no audio even if the video is playing clearly on YouTube. Some of the main reasons are:
- The Volume Settings in the in-built YouTube voice controllers are on the mute mode
- The volume configuration of your device is muted, or the Volume Mixer Slider is at the lowest frequency level
- Issues with your web browser like an outdated web browser can cause the no sound on YouTube error
- Updated Flash Player is conflicting with YouTube
- Outdated sound card driver
- Stored online data including cache, cookies and browser history can cause YouTube not playing sound
Fixing up these issues is quite an easy task like clearing all your browser data with just one tool can fix your YouTube no sound error. Let’s go through some other fixing methods below.
How to Fix “YouTube Not Playing Sound” Error?
Now that we know the possible reasons causing the no audio on YouTube issue let’s get started to fix these common issues.
You can try one of the most general, yet workable fix which is restarting your device as it can fix some temporary issues.
1. Check Volume Setting on YouTube and Your Device
Your sound settings on your YouTube might be on mute, or your YouTube sound might be turned off. To fix this-
- Open your YouTube video
- Go to the Volume bar (Speaker icon to the bottom left corner of your YouTube video)
- Check if there is a “\” sign on the speaker icon
- If yes, tap on it to unmute the speaker and the YouTube sound will be back
If the speaker icon on YouTube is on unmute mode, check the settings for your device speakers. Also, make sure that your speaker icon in the browser tab is not muted.
2. Reinstall Adobe Flash Player
According to many users, uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe Flash Player has fixed the no audio on YouTube error. As there can be certain corruptions in the current Adobe Flash Player and you might have to reinstall it.
To install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, uninstall it and go to the official Adobe’s website. Install the latest and correct version of Adobe Flash and see if it solves YouTube audio problem.
3. Clear all Cache Files and Temporary Files
Browsing data is records of web pages that you have recently visited. This browsing data contains your cookies, cache, saved passwords, and such other private data.
These stored data can slow down your browser and cause some online problems including no audio on YouTube.
To clear Chrome’s browsing data-
- Launch Google Chrome
- Go to Settings (three dots to the top-right corner of your browser screen)
- Select More tools
- Tap on the Clear browsing data icon
- Once the Clear browsing data window opens up, select all the data you wish to remove from your browser
- Once it’s done, hit the Clear Data button
Now, Close your browser and relaunch it. Open YouTube from your browser and see if the problem is solved and your YouTube audio is back.
4. Run Windows Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter is an excellent tool to identify and solve many problems including audio. Let’s see how it works-
- Press the windows key and hit the Setting button from the list
- Type Troubleshoot in the Settings text bar and select Troubleshoot
- Now, under Get up and running section, select the Playing Audio option
- Tap on the Run the troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instruction
Once it’s done, Windows will automatically find the problems and fix them. Check if the problem is fixed through this troubleshooting feature.
5. Update Your Web browser
If none of the above methods are working well, the problem might be with your web browser. To avoid any issues with your web browser, you should regularly update it to run it smoothly. To update Google Chrome-
- Launch Google Chrome
- Go to Settings (three dots to the top-right corner)
- Select Help and tap on “About Google Chrome.”
- If a new browser version is available, you’ll see a notification asking you to update Chrome.
Update your browser and open YouTube from it. Check if you can hear the sound of your YouTube video.
If you still face this issue, try to uninstall your browser and reinstall. If it still doesn’t work, try using a different web browser and see if it works.
6. Update Your Audio Drivers
Audio drivers are like a translator between software and hardware that works to make smooth communication between the hardware and software.
Your computers won’t send or receive any data without correct drivers. Hence, you might need to update your audio drivers. Here’s how-
- Go to the Start button and right-click on it
- Select Device Manager and open it from the menu
- Here, you’ll see a list of connected devices
- Click on the Sound, video and game controllers to expand it
- Now from the drop-down list, select “Update driver.”
You’ll be asked to choose from either updating your audio drivers automatically or by browsing your computer for driver software.
If you choose to update your audio drivers automatically, Windows will search in your computer and internet to get the latest driver software.
If you choose “Browse my computer for driver software,” you’ll have to locate and install drivers manually.
You can visit your device’s manufacturer’s official website and install the correct and latest audio drivers. If updating drivers don’t fix the issue, you might have to reinstall them. Once it’s done, reboot your PC and check if it works.
That’s not all! Poor connectivity or some copyright restrictions can also lead to no sound on YouTube error. Still, have any other issues while watching video on YouTube? Drop down your queries in the comments section below.
- How to Create, Edit & Share YouTube Playlist?
- YouTube Slow Loading & Buffering Fixed
- 5 Solutions to Fix YouTube Videos Black Screen Problem