What is a default browser and how to set or change a default browser? Whenever you click on a link (or URL) in the document or in the email, Windows launches the default browser, which is generally Edge or Internet Explorer.
Now, you’re fixated on Google Chrome or Firefox or any other browser, you might want to change the default settings in Windows, so that it launches your favorite browser by default, whenever you’ll perform an action that causes a browser to launch.
So how to change the settings in Windows to set a default browser of your choice? It’s a pretty easy and straightforward process, but the steps vary with different browsers and configurations. I have detailed all the steps in the below guide on how to change the default browser in Windows 10. Let’s see.
How to Change Your Default Browser?
1. The Straightforward Method
This method virtually applies to all the browsers available.
The first and the most natural step to set your default browser instantly is when you install.
As you download a web browser, you’ll be asked to set it as a default browser, and it also can import all your browser history content such as bookmarks.
If you miss this prompt for any reason, you’ll have to go through some process to set your default browser.
2. Manually Set Google Chrome as a Default Browser
Google Chrome has to be on our top list as it is one of the most used web browsers with over half of web traffic. Set it as your web browser to avoid visiting the Google page as you open your browser. Here’s how-
- Open Google Chrome browser
- Hit the Chrome menu icon (three horizontal lines to the upper-right corner)
- Now, select Settings from the drop-down menu
- Scroll down and locate to the Default browser area
- Tap on the Make Google Chrome the default browser icon
Done! You can apply this process in Windows 10, 8 or 7. Google Chrome is one of our favorite web browsers and making it as your default browser makes your browsing experience more comfortable.
3. Setting Microsoft Edge as a Default Browser
Microsoft Edge is the primary default web browser in Windows 10 until you deliberately change it or installed another browser and changed the settings. Follow the steps to get it back-
- Hit the Windows Start button (to the lower-left corner)
- Click on the Settings icon
- In the Settings interface, choose Default apps
- Look for the Web browser section and select the current default app. It’ll show you the Choose an app menu
- Now, select Microsoft Edge from the list of options
You’ve successfully set Microsoft Edge as your default browser in Windows 10.
Safari is currently the second most used web browser in the world. It is mainly designed for iOS devices, but you can set it as the default browser in Windows too.
- Open Safari and hit the Gear icon (to the upper-right corner)
- Select the Preferences icon from the drop-down menu
- In the Preferences window, go to the General tab
- Click on the drop-down menu of Default web browser
- Now, select Safari from the drop-down list
Safari is now set as your default browser on your Windows PC.
5. Mozilla Firefox
Firefox is an open source web browser, and you can set it as your default web browser with these easy steps-
- Launch Mozilla Firefox
- Hit the Firefox’s menu icon (three horizontal lines to the upper-right corner
- You’ll see a small menu window, choose Options
- In the Options dialog box, Click on the General icon (if required)
- Select Make Firefox My Default Browser option in the Startup Section in General tab
You can now enjoy browsing Mozilla Firefox’s open web services with one click on your Windows 10 PC.
Opera web browser is available for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is one of the least used web browsers currently. However, if you wish to change set Opera as your web browser, go through these steps-
- Open Opera browser and click on the Opera menu icon (upper-left corner)
- Choose the Settings option from the drop-down menu
- Head to the Default browser section and hit the Make Opera my default browser button
If you want to avoid these elaborated steps, in Windows 10, you can also head to the Settings -> Apps -> Default apps.
Now, scroll down and change your default browser by selecting it from the drop-down menu.
Done! Your Windows 10 System will now automatically direct you to the default browser you have set.
- How to Make Google as a Homepage On Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox?
- Simple Ways to Clear Browser History