Wondering why your Windows PC is showing — MSVCP120.dll is Missing error while starting a game or an application?
Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) are core system files on Windows, that’s why when the MSVCP120.dll file goes missing, you won’t be able to access the particular software.
They all mean the same; the MSVCP120.dll file from the Windows System32 folder has gone missing. So, what is this MSVCP120.dll file and how do you fix the missing MSVCP120.dll error?
What is MSVCP120.dll File?
MSVCP120.dll file is a part of Microsoft Visual C++. Applications or games that are developed using Visual C++ programming language need the MSVCP120.dll file for proper functioning.
Causes for MSVCP120.dll Missing Error
There are a few reasons why you may encounter with MSVCP120.dll errors.
Sometimes it may be due to a faulty application or the msvcp120.dll is either deleted, misplaced or corrupted by a virus or other malicious software present on your PC.
Below are some common examples of MSVCP120.dll error messages are:
- There was a problem starting msvcp120.dll. The specified module could not be found
- The program can’t start because msvcp120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- Error loading msvcp120.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- msvcp120.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
How to Fix MSVCP120.dll Missing Error in Windows
Reinstalling the MSVCP120.dll file in the Windows System folder is a basic way to fix the MSVCP120 dll file missing error. Below are some best possible solutions you can try:
1. Download the Missing DLL File
If the error persists, you can manually download the MSVCP120.dll file and place it in the original location.
To download MSVCP120.dll file for free, click here
Make sure you download the correct version (32-bit or 64-bit) by checking your Windows version beforehand.
To paste the downloaded MSVCP120.dll file,
- Go to the Downloads folder
- Right-click on the MSVCP120.dll file and select ‘Copy’
- Now, go to the C: Drive in the My Computer (Win7)/This PC (Windows 10) folder
- Open the ‘Windows’ folder
- Go to ‘System32’ folder
- Press-hold ‘Ctrl’ and ‘V’ keys to paste the MSVCP120.dll file
Tip: You can alternatively copy this address: C:\WINDOWS\system32, in the Windows address bar to open the System32 folder.
Once you’ve successfully copied the downloaded MSVCP120.dll file in the System32 folder, run the affected program and check if you still get the error.
2. Restore Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
When the MSVCP120.dll file goes missing, you can’t launch programs that run on C++ and C. And, almost every other program runs on these programming languages.
So, the basic solution to fix MSVCP120.dll missing on Windows 10 and Windows 7 is reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributable Packages. The reinstallation automatically restores DLL files on your Windows computer.
Follow the procedure carefully; it could be a bit complicated.
- First, download the package from the link below:
- Choose “English” as the language
- Click ‘Download’
- Select the version based on your current Windows OS
To know which Windows version you’re currently running, type ‘system information’ in the Start menu search box
Go to System Information > System Summary > look for System Type
- For 64-bit Windows OS, download the package in the 64-bit version
- After downloading the package, click on ‘Next’
- Install the package by following the installation wizard instructions
- Restart your computer
The MSVCP120.dll file gets restored to its location. Run the program that triggered this error to see if you still see the ‘MSVCP120.dll is missing’ message.
3. Check for Virus
If you’ve recently installed or restored Windows on your system, reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable Package may go in vain.
In such case, the MSVCP120.dll file may not be missing, but a malware or virus could stop a program from accessing it. You can check your computer for virus and get it repaired to fix this problem.
Download any freeware or third-party antivirus software and scan your system files. Allow the scan to thoroughly check for virus on your Windows 10/7 computer.
4. Repair Corrupted Files
Sometimes, a third-party antivirus can further implicate matters. The software may not detect the corrupted MSVCP120.dll file during its scan.
There’s a reliable and inbuilt Microsoft tool that can repair corrupted DLLs on your Windows. You can use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to scan for corrupted files.
To run an SFC scan,
- Type ‘cmd’ in the Start menu search box
- Go to Command Prompt program from the search results
- Right-click and select ‘Run as administrator’
- Type the command ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt window
- Press the Enter key to execute it
- Wait for the scan to finish
- You’ll see information on corrupted files detected and repaired during the scan
- Restart your PC
If the SFC scan detects the missing MSVCP120.dll file and repairs it, you can make use of this tool before using any other antivirus software.
5. Re-install Affected Program
Are you facing the ‘MSVCP120.dll is missing’ error only while launching a particular program or game? It could mean that the problem is with the affected program and that the MSVCP120.dll file is still in place.
To fix this, you can reinstall the affected program. Do a clean installation of the program by following the steps below.
- Hold-press the shortcut keys ‘Windows’ and ‘R’ on your keyboard
- This brings up the Run dialog box
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the dialog box
- Press the Enter key
- Your screen displays a list of all programs installed on your Windows computer
- Right-click on the program that triggered the error
- Click on ‘Uninstall’
- Now, confirm it by clicking on ‘Yes’
- Restart your computer
- Log on to Windows with the administrator account
- Disable/turn off all running applications
- Re-install the troubled program with a setup wizard
A clean installation of the affected program can fix the missing MSVCP120.dll file error on your Windows. Re-open the program to confirm whether this worked or not.
If you know any other fix for the ‘MSVCP120.dll is missing’ error, let us know in the comments below.
- [FIXED] The Program Can’t Start Because MSVCP140.dll Is Missing From Your Computer!
- How to Fix “Service Registration Is Missing or Corrupt” Error In Windows 10?