I know, there’s nothing more annoying than a slow download speed on your computer. I have been working in our hardware and networking store for quite a long time and I have always been asked by our customers, “How do I increase the download speed?” or “Why is the download speed so slow on my PC?”
Well, there are many reasons why you’re experiencing a slow download speed on your computer. Download speed usually depends on the type of connection, your service provider, download server, and etc. But that doesn’t mean you can’t speed up the download speed on your computer.
There are a few tweaks that can help you increase the speed of your internet and download speed too. Let’s see each of them in detail.
How to Increase Your Windows 10’s Downloading Speed?
If you are facing a sudden decline in your Internet speed, you’ll have to perform some general fixes like- disconnecting some devices from your internet network and closing some running applications on your device.
Still, have a weak internet connection? Try out these workarounds mentioned below to fix your slow browsing and downloading speed.
1. Test your Current Internet Speed
The first method you should do is check your internet and downloading speed on your PC. It’ll help you to identify the problem whether it’s with your internet connection or the browsing pages.
To check your internet speed, type internet speed into Google and click on the first link of the search results
You can also head to SpeedTest.net and run an internet speed test.
If the speed meter shows a fast speed of your connection, the problem might be either due to many devices connected to your router or lot of heavy applications running on your device.
2. Empty the TEMP Folder by Flushing the DNS Cache
One of the efficient fixes to boost your download speed is by emptying the Temp folder. Here’s how-
1) Go to the Start button and right-click on it
2) Hit the CommandPrompt icon (Admin permissions)
3) Click Yes to confirm the User Account Control
4) Now, in the CommandPrompt window, enter the following command-
5) Once it is done, type Exit command in the same command window and press Enter to close the page
6) After that, Press and hold Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box. Type %TEMP% and tap on the OK icon and hit Enter
7) Select all the components in the TEMP folder by pressing Ctrl + A keys
8) Right-click on any file and select the Delete icon from the drop-down list
9) Close the TEMP folder and go to your home screen
Done! You’ve successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache and emptied the TEMP folder. Reboot your PC and start downloading files at high internet speed.
3. Enable the Limit Reservable Bandwidth option
You cannot use the entire speed of your Internet connectivity as Windows 10 consumes about 80% of the bandwidth.
It means that you can only use up to 20% for your personal use. Enabling the limit reservable bandwidth can boost your internet speed. Let’s do it-
1) Press and hold Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box
2) Type “gpedit.msc” in the dialog box and press Enter
3) You can now see the Group Policy Editor window on your screen
4) Now in the Group Policy Editor window, click on Computer Configuration icon (from the left-hand side menu) and select Administrative Templates
5) Choose Network from the list and search for QoS Packet Scheduler and click on it
6) Double-click on the Limitreservablebandwidth icon. Check the Enable box from the three options
7) Set the Bandwidth value from 80% to 0% and hit the OK button
Well done! Close the window and check if your internet speed has increased.
4. Use a Custom DNS Server
DNS stands for Domain Name System. It also determines the speed of your Internet as it names resources connected to the Internet.
Changing the server of DNS might increase the download speed. Follow the steps mentioned below to change DNS server.
1) Go to the Windows Search bar and type ControlPanel and click on it
2) Find for Network and Sharing Center and open it
3) In the Network and Sharing Center window, click on ‘Change adapter settings’ icon (left-hand side pane)
4) You’ll see all the active connections on your PC. Choose one of the connections you are currently using. You’ll see a small box appears with more details
5) Go to the Properties icon and tap on it
6) A list of options (checkboxes) appears, search for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4). Check its box and select Properties(below to it, to the right corner)
7) You’ll see two options in the second section of the box. From that, choose the “Use the following DNS server addresses” box and not the “Obtain an IP address automatically.”
8) After that, enter the following DNS address
Preferred DNS Server- 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS Server- 188.8.131.52
You’ve changed the DNS server, and it is most-likely effective to boost your download speed. Reboot your modem, PC and enjoy a high-speed browsing and downloading experience in your Windows 10 PC.
5. Turn Off the Updates Delivery Function
You’ll have to turn off the “Choose how updates are delivered” icon to boost your steam download speed of your PC. Follow these steps to turn off the updates delivery.
1) Hit the Windows Key and hit the Settings button (gear icon above Power Options)
2) In the Settings window, search for Update and Security icon (to the bottom of the window
3) Now, select Advanced Options
4) Click on “Choose how updates are delivered” option and turn it off
Now your system won’t send any unwanted or updated Windows files through P2P (Peer-to-Peer) sharing. Reboot your system and check if the download speed has increased.
That’s not all! We suggest you close large background applications like Antivirus, Steam, Torrent Apps, Adobe Reader for an update and such other programs. Make sure that you install a correct Wi-Fi adapter driver. Clear your browser cache, cookies, and history.
Try out these methods to enjoy a speedy internet service and increase in the download speed of your Windows 10 PC. Have any other issues with your Windows 10? Drop down your queries in the comments section below.
- 5 Best Tools That Speed Up Your Windows 10 PC for Free
- 12+ Proven Ways to Speed up Your Windows 10 PC in 2018