System and Compressed Memory process is mainly responsible for several functions related to your computer’s memory and system.
This process helps to compress files and folders and looks after the management of RAM. The System and Compressed Memory process should ideally take up a limited amount of CPU and Disk.
However, sometimes, it starts utilizing up to 100% of memory, making your computer terribly sluggish and slow. It also blocks other processes and tasks running on your computer system.
So why does this particular process take up so much of the disk space and how do you fix it? Let’s see.
Why Does the System and Compressed Memory Disc Usage Exceed?
The system and compressed memory function begin to use 100% of the disc due to two main reasons:
- The process System and Compressed memory itself is simply not functioning properly.
- You’ve made a disorder on your virtual settings by making changes to the paging file size to a set value from Automatic.
Here’s the good news for all the Windows 10 users who are facing these issues as you can now easily fix these with the most useful solutions.
Following are the effective solutions you can apply to fix the Windows 10 System and compressed memory high disk usage.
1. Fix and optimize the corrupt files on the system
Programs such as Reimage plus or EaseUS Partition Master Free which helps to scan the corrupt files. The junk file cleaning up factor will help you to entirely fetch and clean all the useless files.
After the process, if the disk usage is still high, proceed to the next step.
2. All the Paging File Size Drivers Should Be Set Back to Automatic
If you have customized the paging size from automatic to custom value, it may lead to problems with memory compression. To avoid 100% disc usage, the solution is:
- Open the Start Option. Click on Find Performance
- Go to Adjust and the appearance and performance of Windows
- Under the Virtual Memory, Click on Change
- In the Virtual Memory Window, the automatically manage paging file size for all drives should be enabled.
- Click OK
- In the Performance Options window, Go to Apply and the OK
3. How To Disable The System And Compressed Memory
If the previous solution does not work well for you and the paging file size was already enabled, you can still fix this.
Disable the System and compressed memory in windows 10. To do so,
- Press Windows key + X. Go to Control panel. Click Administrative Tools and select Task Scheduler
- Now, double-click on Task scheduler library to expand its contents.
- Double-click on Microsoft to expand the contents. Now Double-click on Windows in the left pane to enlarge its contents.
- Click on MemoryDiagnostic in the left so that contents are displayed on the right pane
- Locate and right-click the task In the contextual menu, click on Disable
- End the Task Scheduler. Now restart your computer and check if the issue endures.
4. To fix System and Compressed High Disk Usage, Stop the SuperFetch
SuperFetch is a part of the Windows Operating System which maintains and improves system performance. However, at times it can be more damaging to Windows system rather than being beneficial and can cause 100% disk usage problems as its optimized as a potential cause in Windows 8 and later versions.
In order to fix the issue, there are two methods to disable the SuperFetch service:
Method 1: Using the Run commands
- Hold Windows + R and type “service.msc” command
- Now see “SuperFetch”
- Clicking on the property, edit SuperFetch
- Go to Stop
- Superfetch to be disabled, Click OK
Method 2: Disable SuperFetch with Prompt Command
- Go to start, open and find Command Prompt, click Run as administrator and click YES
- Type: net.exe stop SuperFetch and press Enter.
- Restart and check if the problem has been resolved or not.
Check and Remove Possible Viruses
Various Malicious programs and many viruses can cause the System and compressed memory high CPU usage. It is firmly recommended to you that you use assured antivirus programs for your system. Delete or Uninstall the files or programs that are suspicious and corrupted.
You may now restart your PC and have a look if the System and compress service are still consuming high usage.
- What is TrustedInstaller.exe in Windows 10/8/7? (Plus, Fix for High CPU Usage)
- What is dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager)? How to Fix High CPU Usage by dwm.exe?
- What is NTUSER.DAT File on Your PC? What Does It Do? Is it Safe?