The program CompatTelRunner.exe has been unpopular by its Windows 7 and 10 users as it causes high CPU usage and high disk usage resulting in too low and prolonged performance on the PC.
Angry users report that the Windows consistently downloads, installs and updates unwanted software on their system and results in high CPU usage by CompatTelRunner.exe
Some Windows users have accused CompatTelRunner.exe acts as a malware which re-installs despite being removed many times
What is CompatTelRunner.exe?
CompatTelRunner stands for compatibility Appraiser Telemetry Runner.
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is a part of Microsoft Windows software. It is a workable file which is present in Windows 7 and 8.1, located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
There are various functions of this program, some of them are:
- The CompatTelRunner.exe file upgrades your system to the latest version and installs them
- CompatTelRunner.exe collects system data and secures the Windows devices
- It scans application files on the computer to be compatible with the upgrade CompatTelRunner.exe process in windows 10
- It also receives and sends telemetry to the Microsoft servers
Now as we know CompatTelRunner.exe file and its roles, let us see how to fix CompatTelRunner.exe high disk usage issue in Windows 10.
How to Fix High CPU Usage by CompatTelRunner.exe?
The only way to solve this problem is to Uninstall the file. To do so, follow these steps below:
1. Disable from the Task Scheduler
You can use this method for all the versions of Windows
- Hold Windows + R key and type taskschd.msc and press Enter
- To the right side of the pane, expand: Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Application Experience
- Right click on the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and select Disable
2. Delete the File as an Administrator
Make sure to log in as an Administrator
- Press and hold Windows key + R together and type c:\windows\system32 and press Enter
- Locate CompatTelRunner.exe folder in this folder. Now, right-click on it and select Properties
- Open the Security tab and choose the Advanced icon
- Go to the Owner tab and click on the Edit button
- Choose as Administrator, Now, click on Apply and hit on OK to save the changes
- Close all properties windows and hit OK
- Right-click on CompatTelRunner.exe and select Properties. Also open the security tab and press the Advanced button
- Choose Permissions tab and select the account you are using and click Edit
- Select your user account and tick on the Allow box for Full control. Hit on OK
- You can now Delete the CompatTelRunner.exe file without any more disruption.
3. Uninstall the Update “KB2952662”
Apart from Disabling or Deleting the CompatTelRunner.exe file, you can also choose to uninstall the Windows KB2976978 update if you don’t wish to upgrade your system to Windows 10. Follow the steps below to uninstall the KB2976978 update:
- Press the Windows Key and type cmd and right click on it and select Run as administrator option
- Hit on Yes in the prompt window to continue
In the command prompt window type: dism /online /get-packages | findstr KB2952664
- This will show the installed updates
- Now, copy paste the command:
dism /online /remove-package /PackageName:Package_for_KB2952664~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~220.127.116.11
- To confirm that the process has taken place type:
Get-HotFix -id KB2952664
If you can’t search hot-fix error, it means that the update is completely deleted from your System
These were the three majorly useful methods to avoid this annoying error. Let us know which method acts well for your issue.
- What is MsMpEng.exe? How to Fix Its High CPU Usage?
- What is TrustedInstaller.exe in Windows 10/8/7? (Plus, Fix for High CPU Usage)
- What is dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager)? How to Fix High CPU Usage by dwm.exe?