A VBS:Malware-gen is a dangerous worm programmed to corrupt your system files. It triggers the security bugs that give a pathway to hackers to invade your computer to steal some vital information.
Once VBS: Malware-gen successfully invades your PC, it starts executing malicious codes to hide in the background and let the hacker take control over your computer.
In this article, we look at the some of the simplest ways you can use to deal with this Trojan like a virus.
What is VBS:Malware-gen?
Cybersecurity specialists define VBS:Malware-gen as a computer-based worm that spreads across both local and shared networks.
The infectious worm is a Visual Basic Script file that functions based on the configuration of the code given. Notably, it is always hard to notice this type of computer virus since it works on the setup of the code.
Once executed, it drops a copy of itself in %User Startup% and %User Temp% using some deceptive files names make it look like it’s a vital system file that should not be removed or modified.
After a while, it will receive an execute commands from remote servers to attack the compromised Pc.
Other problems caused by VBS:Malware-gen include:
- It can make changes to the default system settings without any permission
- Capable of collecting vital information like credit card details
- System crash and too many ads is a common phenomenon with this virus
- It is capable of leading you to phishing websites created by scammers
How Do You Know if Your PC is Infected by VBS:Malware-gen?
When a VBS:Malware-gen hits your PC, you may see the following symptoms:
- Unexpected OS error messages
- Slow performance of your PC
- Blue Screen of death on windows
- Pc showing program is not responding error messages
- New files being created at the root file of the hard drive
- Mysterious deletion of folders and files
Highlighted below are some of the methods you can use to remove VBS:Malware-gen from your PC.
#1: Uninstall VBS: Malware-gen from Control Panel
- Press and hold Windows key + R to open the run window
- Type in Control Panel and hit enter
- Click uninstall Program
- Locate and Right-click on VBS: Malware-gen or any other unwanted programs
- Click Ok
#2: Remove VBS: Malware-gen by Cleaning the Registry
To clear the worm from your PC, you can clean all the available registry files. To do so, follow the below procedure.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run window
- Type “regedit” in the3. Run window and press enter
- Right-click on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VBS:Malware-gen.” The file is located on the left pane of the Registry Editor
- Click delete and close the editor
#3: Delete Malware Files
- From your windows search box, type “VBS:Malware-gen” and hit enter
- Locate and delete all the files that appear on the search result containing the name “VBS: Malware-gen.”
Note: The files might have different extensions like VBS: Malware-gen.dll or VBS: Malware-gen.exe
- Right-click on the files and select Delete
- Restart your PC
#4: End Running Process
- Press Ctrl + Shift T Esc to open the Task manager
- Click on the Processes tab on the Task Manager
- Click “Show Processes from All Users” button
- Locate and click on “VBS:Malware-gen” under image name, then select End process
- Close the Task Manager
#5: Reset your Browsers
If you are experiencing VBS:Malware-gen adware from your browser then you might consider resetting them back to default settings.
Google Chrome can reset itself to default settings if the extensions or apps installed changed your settings without knowledge.
- Open Google Chrome of your Pc
- Click more at the top right corner and then settings
- From the bottom list, click on show advanced settings
- Under the section, reset settings click Reset Settings
- From the dialog box that appears, click Reset
Restoring your Mozilla Firefox may help you solve a couple of problems include VBS: Malware-gen worms. Follow the below process to reset your Mozilla
- From the upper right corner of the Firefox window, click on the menu button and then select the help button
- From the help menu, choose Troubleshooting information
- Refresh your browser
- To continue, click on Refresh Firefox button from the dialog window that opens
- Firefox will refresh and revert to default settings
- Open IE and click on the gear icon, and select Internet Options.
- From the Internet Options dialog box, click the advanced tab.
- Click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, tick the checkbox Delete Personal Settings and then click Reset.
- When IE completes the process, click close.
In summary, if you have followed the above procedures, your PC should be clean from VBS: Malware-gen, which can keep records of your keystrokes and the websites you frequent.