Thanks to developers at Symantec, millions of PCs around the world can avail Norton Security. You can protect your Windows computers with Norton antivirus.
Norton secures information from malware, viruses and security threats. But, at the same time, it consumes your system’s resources and creates some technical problems.
You may witness high CPU usage while running system scan with Norton software. The antivirus could also stop launch of certain programs, if it considers them as malicious.
For varying reasons, you may want to remove Norton completely from your PC. So, here are the ways on how to remove Norton completely from your Windows computer.
1. Norton Removal Tool
First, we’ll look at the safest way to remove Norton Antivirus from your PC. If you’ve installed the genuine Norton antivirus software on your Windows computer, you can make use of the tool below –
Click on the download link above to download the tool. Now, follow the steps below to completely uninstall Norton antivirus from Windows 10.
- Copy the downloaded file (Norton Removal Tool) to your Windows desktop
- Double-click on it
- You’ll be redirected to a web page on your default web browser
- Read the End User License Agreement
- Click on ‘Agree’
- Here, you go back to the Norton Removal Tool window
- Go to ‘Advanced Options’
- Select ‘Remove Only’ and click on ‘Remove’
- Here, the tool asks you to ‘Restart’ your computer
Allow your Windows PC to restart after the removal is complete. After you start your computer, open the Task Manager.
- Press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘Esc’ keys to open Task Manager
- Go to the ‘Processes’ tab
- Browse through the list of process
- Select a Norton process
- Right-click on it
- Click on ‘End Task’ from the drop down menu
- You can also select the process and click on the ‘End Process’ tab at the bottom right pane
- Do this for all Norton-related processes
Now, restart your PC again to thoroughly implement the changes. When your Windows resumes, you can check for Norton files across your computer. If you don’t find any, you’ve successfully removed Norton Antivirus from your Windows PC.
2. Control Panel (Settings – Apps)
If you don’t have access to Internet, you can’t use the Norton Removal Tool. But, that shouldn’t be a problem.
Removing Norton antivirus on Windows is a simple process. You can uninstall the software like any other application on your Windows 10 computer – using Control Panel
For Windows 7 users,
- Go to the Start Menu
- Click on Control Panel
- Go to Programs (or click on the ‘Uninstall a Program’ link below it)
- Select ‘Norton Security’ or other Norton product from the list of installed programs
- Click on ‘Uninstall/Change’ tab
- Select ‘Remove’ to follow the setup wizard
- Restart your system after you’re done uninstalling Norton
On Windows 10,
- Open the Start menu
- Click on the gear icon to open Settings window
- Go to Apps section
- Look for Norton products from the list
- Select it and click on Uninstall
- Follow the removal wizard
- Restart your PC
Check for Norton products when you login to Windows later.
3. Shortcut for Uninstall
There’s a shorter way on how to remove Norton from Windows 10. You can follow the steps below and remove Norton products completely from your computer.
- Press and hold ‘Windows’ and ‘R’ keys to open the Run dialog box
- Type the command “appwiz.cpl” in the Open dialog box
- Press the Enter key
- It opens the Programs and Features window
- Here, find Norton Security and other Norton products
- One by one, right-click on them and select Uninstall
- Restart your PC thereafter
In some systems, Norton products may alter devices and system adapters. You need to remove such driver software from your PC as well.
To do so,
- Press Windows + R
- In the Run dialog box, type “devmgmt.msc”
- Click on OK
- Select Norton drivers and products (if any)
- Right-click on them and select Uninstall from the menu
- Restart your PC
4. Manually Delete Program Files
For a clean and through removal, you need to do a background check. It is similar to how you use Task Manager earlier to end all Norton processes running in the background.
Now, you go for Norton’s program files.
- Open a File Explorer window on your computer
- Go to This PC or My Computer
- Open the C: Drive folder
- Double-click on Program Files
- Search for Norton or Symantec files and folders
- Select them
- Press ‘Shift’ and ‘Del’ keys to permanently delete them
- Close all windows and restart your computer
Follow this process after trying out every method listed earlier.
If you aren’t able to remove Norton despite of trying out all these methods, let us know in the comments below. We’ll be happy to help.
- Avast’s Latest Upgrade Interferes with Malwarebytes, Impedes Internet Connectivity
- How To Stop Avast From Blocking The Website And Internet Access?
- How to Turn Off Avast Temporarily in Windows 10/8/7?