“No sound on my computer” is one of the most common problems experienced by computer users.
Imagine you’re in the middle of your favorite series or movie, and your computer goes mute all of a sudden, without any warning. No sound on the computer can be an extremely annoying issue. Oftentimes the sound issues occur due to outdated sound drivers or fault in the driver setup process.
If you’re using Windows 10, you may sometimes see the error message — “No Audio” or the “Sound is missing” or “No Audio Output Device is Installed” on system. So what to do when the sound on your computer stops working? How to get back the sound on your computer?
This guide details some helpful ways to fix the sound problems on your Windows computer.
How to Fix No Sound on Windows 10, 8 or 7?
Let’s work your way through the methods mentioned below to get your sound back on your Windows system.
Note: Before we get to the solutions, ensure that the volume button is not on mute mode or silent.
1. Check the Hardware
If the sound on your PC has suddenly stopped working, it might be due to some connection problem with your hardware. Here’s how to identify the issues with the sound hardware:
- Check the headphone plug: Check whether the headphone jack is filled with any block or dirt. If yes, clean it with a cotton swab.
- Check the speaker: Ensure that the speakers are not covered with any other device or cloth and keep it clean.
- Check your headphone: See if there’s a damage to the headphone and headphone cables.
- Check sound card: Make sure the sound card is working correctly.
To check your sound card, go to Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in Run dialog box). Click and expand Sound, video and game controllers and check if there’s a sound driver installed such as RealTek High Definition Audio or any other sound driver.
2. Reinstall the Audio Driver
Incompatible or corrupt audio drivers cause no sound on your Windows PC. To fix this issue, you’ll need to first uninstall the current audio driver and reinstall the correct driver. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Run dialog box (press Windows + R keys) and type “devmgmt.msc” to open Device Manager
- Windows 10 users, right click on Start Menu and select device manager to open Device Manager
- Double-click the Sound, video and game controllers and open its window
- Now, right-click on the audio card and hit the Uninstall device button
- A small window pops up to confirm. Here, tick on the box “Delete the driver software for this device” and once again click on Uninstall icon to delete the audio driver
Now, restart your PC and Windows will automatically install the correct audio driver for your system. Check whether your audio works correctly now.
3. Update the Audio Driver
If the above method doesn’t help you get back the sound on your PC, chances are high that the audio driver is missing or is outdated. Let’s try to update your audio driver.
- You can update your drivers by visiting the official manufacturer’s website and search for the latest and correct driver which is compatible with your Windows system. Download these drivers and install it. This process may take a while, but most-likely fixes your problem
You can also try to automatically update your audio driver by any third-party tool and check if your audio system works now.
4. Use the Audio Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a built-in audio troubleshoot feature which identifies and fixes issues automatically. It is again a quick fix and here’s how you use this troubleshooter.
- Open Run dialog box (Windows + R) and type “control panel” and hit Enter to open Control Panel
- Click on the Troubleshooting
- Select Hardware and Sound
- Then select Playing Audio from the list and follow the instructions on the screen and start the troubleshooting process
The Audio Troubleshooter does the drill for you to fix your no sound problem.
5. Change the Audio Format
Let’s try to change the audio format to fix the no sound issue and check if it works. To do so,
- Right-click on the Volume button (to the bottom right corner) and hit the Playback devices icon
- In the Playback menu, choose your audio device and click on Properties
- Go to the Advanced option and in the Default Format, select another audio format and tap on the Test icon
- Play music and check if your audio works correctly
You might have to repeat the steps mentioned above until you find the perfect audio format and once you get it, click Ok to save the changes.
Great! You have successfully fixed the “no sound on computer” issue on your Windows 10/8 or 7 system.
Let us know which method was the most useful to fix your issue.
- Easy Fixes for “Microphone Not Working” Problem on Windows 10
- 4 ways to fix “No Audio Output Device is Installed” Error in Windows 10/8/7